Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Poem for the Grieving


It's Not "Like" Anything
So I describe how I'm doing today
            In an e-mail
                        On Facebook
                                    On the phone
                                                Face to face
And every time my listener hears an additional sentence
            That I did not utter
                        At least I think I didn't
                                    It's hard to tell right now
                                                Anyway...
The sentence must go something like this:
            Please identify an experience in your life
                        That has some passing similarity to losing one's spouse
                                    Describe that experience in excruciating detail
                                                And then extract the nugget of advice
                                                            That I have been waiting my whole life to hear.
Did I really say that?  For the life of me I don't recall making such a request.
Losing Anne is NOT "like" anything else.
            It's not like having a very sick spouse recover.  You got him back.
            I'm happy for you and so envious that I want to scream.
            It's not like losing a parent--I've done that, and I can tell you it's different.
            There's a hole in one's heart, but the sense of incomplete was less for me.
            It's not like going through a divorce--I would do anything to get her back.
            I didn't choose to end our life together.
            It's not like losing a child--although now you're getting warm.
            I've watched that happen, and there are lots of similarities.
            It's not even like you losing your spouse
Although I will listen very closely to you.  But that was your spouse, not mine.
Don't make any big changes for a year or two or three, they say.
            That train has left the station, friends.
                        The biggest change has already happened
                                    And I don't like it.
Take time, take care, take it slow, take it easy...yes, yes, yes.
            Take a chill pill, would you?
There's a reason,
            There's a purpose.
                        There's a plan.
                                    There's a point.
                                                Yes...yes...yes.
Perhaps I should just carry my degrees in philosophy and theology with me at all times.
I don't need answers.  I need Anne.
I refuse to let this grief be "like" any other.
            She was UN-like any other.

By the way, I'm not quite so angry about this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always glad to hear from YOU!